Monday, January 2, 2012

Vale el Zamboanga!

Last vacation for 2011 was spent at my boyfriend's hometown. Now this get-away is extra special because its a many first for moi. For one, its my first time to visit Christian's home and see where the "baby with five strands of hair" grew up. Second, in my 27 years of existence, its my first time to ever step a foot in Mindanao!
The Zamboanga International Airport. This photo was taken on my departure though. I was too eager to see Zamboanga the morning I arrived that I didn't bother to take snapshots.

Contrary to the Cebu weather, Zamboanga's was perfect. There was no cloud in the sky and the sun was just brightly smiling at us. That afternoon, we went sight seeing right away. They toured me to the heart of Zambaonga City, where their shopping malls lay. We walked with and against the crowd. Since it was the day before New Year's eve, people were obviously busy last minute shopping. We then hiked to Fort PilarI constantly had my head up, gazing at the tall acacia trees lining the streets to the Fort.
Their Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas stood out among the buildings there.
So did this fern-adorned Acacia Tree.
Lovers reunited. Ayeee!
Imported goods on display at one of the stalls near the fort. 
Candles for lighting at the altar of the Lady of Pilar. Pretty, aren't they?
Pigeon house a-top an old tree. Christian said it has been perched there for as long as he can remember.
Las Campanas del Santuario de la Virgen del Pilar (Bells of the Virgin Mary)
Unfortunately for me, the museum was closed for the holidays. So we lit candles at the altar and whispered our prayers to the Lady of Pillar instead. According the historian Mr. Jeff Mendoza, this wall with the image of the Lady survived a tsunami that hit Zamboanga decades before. However, after I Wikipedia-ed "Fort Pilar", I found that 
"a strong earthquake struck the western region of Mindanao in the 1800s. TheVirgin Mary made an apparition, according to the people who witnessed it, they saw the virgin standing mid-air over the Basilan Strait, she had her right hand raised to signal the onrushing waves to stop, saving the city from a tsunami"  
Close enough Jeff!
See that bottle of mineral water at the bottom right of the pic? That's only P20 in Zamboanga! Amazing huh? LOL
Paseo del Mar at day. I wish we had a hang-out by the sea in Cebu.
By the entrance.
That's Santa Cruz Island behind us, famous for its pristine pink sand beach.
I just heard wonders about this dish - Satti. In fact, it is one of the main things that got me excited about my trip. They said, the recipe remains to this day a top secret. The ingredients are a mystery. In fact, the owner would make the concoction at home rather than at the store for fear of being copied. We dined at Jimmy's, the most popular Satti-han in Zambo. Each bowl is priced at P25, which comes with unlimited sauce, puso, and your choice of 4 sticks of beef, liver, or chicken. No pork for religious reasons. The sweet spicy tangy flavor, they said, is the best cure to nurse a hang-over. I, on the other hand, just love it for being spicy. Period.
That night, Christian's parents took us to dinner at Palmeras. I had my second encounter with the Bilao. This round had more choices than Bob Marlin's and was tastier too. Don't your mouth just water staring at those prawns? 
Palmeras is also famous for this treat - the Knickerbocker. Its fresh slices of mango, watermelon, and banana mixed with milk and jell-o, topped with strawberry ice cream. It's a good alternative to halo-halo, I say.
Zamboanga's City Hall is a sight to behold. All those festive Christmas lights, colorful parols and floating bubbles fills me with glee, like a child during Christmas. I wasn't the only one. See the crowd behind me? LOL
On the first afternoon of the year, Christian's parents brought me to the Yakan Village. The Yakans belong to a Muslim tribe originally from Basilan. Because of wars, they were forced to leave their homes and move to Zamboanga. They are known to be the finest weavers in the country.
They have the best eyesight too, I should say. A few minutes on this machine and I'd probably go cross-eyed. Not to mention, endlessly complaining about my back problem. It takes a weaver to 1-3 days to finish a product. They practically use their whole body in weaving. Their back provides the needed support in stretching the material while their legs in turn support their backs to maintain the length. Kudos to them!
A Yakan cloth costs around P180 to P600, depending on the size. I think its reasonably priced, considering the efforts placed in making it. Aside from pitching in to their livelihood, buying a piece or two is a good way to help keep the Yakan weaving industry alive.
They also had traditional Yakan bolos of different shapes and sizes on display.
I specifically asked Christian to bring me to the vintas when I get to Zamboanga. I remember my grade school books and how they'd always have pictures of vintas when the lesson came to Zamboanga. Unfortunately for me (again), Christian said, there are lesser and lesser vintas sailing their shores. Blame it on the invention of the motor. The vintas have become, hmm...functus officios, in legal parlance. (hehe!) Nevertheless, I was happy enough to see this miniature vinta displayed at the Yakan Village. Even happier was I when I posed next to this sail at Vista del Mar.
Curiously, I asked Christian if "Mar" was the name or nickname of their mayor. Well, because of its usage in Paseo del Mar and Vista del Mar. My boyfriend smiled and said, "Mar is Spanish for sea." Toinks. Dumb blonde moment!


Zamboanga is beautiful. Vale el Zamboanga. The Zamboanga I visited is nothing like what the news often say. It is peaceful. The people are warm and friendly. Hearing them talk in their dialect is like music to my ears. (Or perhaps, I'm just biased hehe!)

Many thanks to Christian's friends for the sweet company. You know who you are.  (Shocks, murag artista!) AND, thank you to the DaƱo Family for welcoming me to their beautiful home, for feeding me with sumptuous food, and for making me feel like I'm part of the family. (Assuming much!) Man mirahan kita ole!


No comments:

Post a Comment