Its my fourth return to Bureau of Immigration Manila. Like my previous trips, I have been told to WAIT for my document to be signed by the head officer. Instead of sitting at the corner for a number of hours and be hit on by old gentlemen as they pass, I surmised to explore neighboring historical site.
I strolled along and above the Muralla Wall, the side closest to Magallanes Drive. People I met along the path probably knew right away it was my first time there because I was busy snapping pics away.

One of the clearings above the Muralla Wall.
Intramuros was swarming with students. It has several schools housed within its walls. Above is just one of them - Colegio de San Juan Letran. A few steps from it is Lyceum of the Philippines University.
The Walled City Dormitory. I found it adorable how they managed to put that blooming lush garden on the rooftop.
Stone paths always fascinate me. It gives that genuine Spanish era feel.
After several minutes of walking under the heat of the sun, I rested inside the cool walls of Puerta del Parian.
Who knows how long these doors have been locked.
A view of the ceiling.
Signage at the site said:
Puerto Del Parian was "Named adter the Parian de Arroceros across the city were Chinese merchants lived. Built in 1593. One of the earliest entrances to Intramuros. Became official entrance of the Governor-General in 1764, after following destruction of Puerto Real during the British invasion. Ravelin built in 1603 following Chinese uprising. Used as defense line between the curtail walls of Baluarte de San Andres and the Parian Gate. Vaulted chambers built in 1739 to house soldier and military supplies. Entire defense work completed in 1782. Gate and ravelin severely damaged in 1945. Restoration began in 1967 and completed in 1982.
Just outside of the the Puerto del Parian gate is the Asean Garden. Its a cool and breezy path that students take from Magallanes Drive to Lyceum or Letran.
I know its typical of a government office to ask you to come back the next day. I did not expect to be told that because I've ALWAYS managed to finish processing with BI in one day. I have been in much WORST situations before and I pulled through. Charms always help in getting things done (cough,cough) LOL! So when the employee uttered those five words to me, I wanted to wage war and scream bloody murder! Who wouldn't if you were scheduled to fly back that night, with no change of clothes, you have two dying cellphones but you are unequipped with a charger, no place to stay and worst, your funds were depleting?! I came to my senses and decided against strangling the guy. Who would sign my documents tomorrow if he was dead? LOL.
So I called the only friend who would be so kind enough to allow me to squat at his place - Mark Leo Chang. My luck turned when he said yes and that he was treating me to dinner because it was his birthday. WOOHOO! On all days, I chose to inconvenience him on his birthday. The best part was, I forgot it was his birthday! LOL! We ate at this elegantly cozy restaurant - Casa Roces. Mark said it was one of the restaurants the President would take them to eat. (O diba, ang swerte ko talaga. Sosyal pa! LOL) If you are reading this Mark, THANK YOU again!!!
.....















No comments:
Post a Comment